Graduate Research Scholarship
DEADLINE: Friday, February 22, 2013
The Plastic Surgery Foundation is accepting applications for its Graduate Research Scholarship.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide tuition support to a plastic surgeon in his/her pursuit of an advanced degree in research. A financial award in the amount not to exceed $25,000 will be given to an ASPS Candidate member, plastic surgery resident or fellow affiliated with an accredited plastic surgery program who has demonstrated a commitment to advancing the public's health through their pursuit of an advanced research degree (ex. MPH, MS, PhD).
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must be a plastic surgery resident or fellow affiliated with an accredited plastic surgery program or an ASPS Candidate member
- At the time the scholarship is awarded, applicants must be enrolled (or show proof of acceptance) as a full-time or part-time graduate degree student at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants must not have completed more than one-half of the coursework required for the degree program.
The Following Criteria Shall Apply to this Award
The Graduate Research Scholarship is available to graduate students who are or will be enrolled in a graduate research degree program by July 1, 2013. The Scholarship is only to be used toward tuition and fees associated with graduate coursework not yet completed. Up to $25,000 will be awarded.
Funding for this program will be available prior to July 1, 2013. Applicants will be asked for a progress report, a personal statement and sealed copy of transcript at the completion of each course term. If a Scholarship recipient leaves the degree program, they must notify The Plastic Surgery Foundation within thirty (30) days and all unused funds must be returned to The Plastic Surgery Foundation.
- Completed Graduate Research Scholarship Application Form
- Description of the graduate degree program, copy of the degree requirements and required courses for the program of study
- Graduate Degree Program Costs
- Include anticipated annual program cost for tuition, and fees.
- Applicant CV
- A Personal Essay containing answers to the following questions:
- Explain your interest and why you chose to become involved in plastic surgery research.
- Your essay should discuss a significant issue or problem in your field of study that is of particular interest to you and how that focus impacts plastic surgery patients and practice.
- Explain your commitment to making a contribution to plastic surgery through research and how will this degree help you expand your commitment to plastic surgery and research.
- Personal Essay Format Instructions:
- Shall be no more than 2,000 words and prepared in a WORD document.
- Font size may not be smaller than 11 point or larger than 12 point.
- Your essay must be typed and confined to four pages (one side only).
- The content and style of your essay will be important to the success of your Scholarship application. Assume that your reader is knowledgeable in research and will have the expertise to read, review, and understand the complexities of your field of specialty.
- Two letters of recommendation from (1) a plastic surgery research mentor, and (2) plastic surgery program chair.
Selection will be based on review of the all application materials with emphasis placed on the applicant's justification of award, educational plan and degree program, a commitment to making a meaningful contribution to the advancement of plastic surgery and in plastic surgery research, and the demonstrated potential for intellectual leadership. This equal opportunity program is open to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, religion, age, physical disability or national origin. The Scholarship will be awarded based upon funds available.
One complete application package containing one original of all items listed above (Nos. 1-6) must be received by The Plastic Surgery Foundation by Friday, February 22, 2013. All items must be collected by the applicant and sent to The Plastic Surgery Foundation as one complete application package. Application packages missing any of the above items will not be considered.
Mail completed package to: email@example.com
For additional information, please see the program guidelines or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.