The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) / The Plastic Surgery Foundation’s® (The PSF) International Scholar Program and the Scholar Program of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons (ASMS) enables plastic surgeons from abroad to study at host plastic surgery institutions in the United States for three to six months.
The plastic surgeon must be in the developmental stage of their studies, have completed their plastic surgery training and have flexibility to travel and study at more than one institution. The focus of this study may be clinical, research, or a combination of the two.
Please note that past International Scholar award recipients are ineligible for repeat scholarships due to the great need to train doctors internationally and limited resources.
How to Apply
The applicaton period for scholarships with travel between July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017, is now closed. Applications for travel between July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018 will open by February 1, 2016. Thank you for your interest in the International Scholar Program!
Please contact Julie Buscemi at email@example.com with any questions or further information.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- Submit a one-page written essay to accompany the application describing the reasons for wishing to become an International Scholar and how the experience will help the citizens of their native country.
- Be recommended and endorsed by their local or regional plastic surgery society and/or by their department chairman.
- Live outside North America.
- Provide documentation confirming COMPLETION of an approved training program in plastic surgery outside North America.
- Residents will not be considered for scholarships.
- Applicant must be less than 10 years out of training.
- Actively practice plastic surgery in their native country.
- Have demonstrated the potential for academic and clinical excellence.
- Be in good health.
- Be able to communicate verbally in English.
- Applicants may re-apply for the program a maximum of 3 years.
After returning home, scholars will be asked to submit an essay describing their experiences in the United States, what objectives were accomplished during their fellowship and how the scholarship has affected their career goals. The scholars will be asked to evaluate the program and to offer suggestions for modification and improvement.
All International Scholar Program inquiries and completed applications should be directed to:
International Scholar Committee
PSF and ASMS International Scholar Program
444 East Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-4664
Important Note: If an individual is selected as an International Scholar and unable to obtain a visa, PSF/ASMS are not responsible for continuation of the offer beyond a reasonable date.