The PSF Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund
The Breast Reconstruction Awareness campaign is a two year campaign sponsored by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and The Plastic Surgery (The PSF), and financially supported through corporations, institutions, private practices and individuals.
Its intent is simple: Educate, engage and empower women to make the decision that is best for them following a diagnosis with breast cancer. That involves informing women, family members, caregivers and the media that the breast cancer loop remains open until a woman is informed of breast reconstruction options.
The campaign is multi-faceted, and includes broad reaching communication efforts to inform the public. Through national and local events and programming and a mix of traditional and new media efforts, millions of people unaware of breast reconstruction options following mastectomy have been informed.
Behind the public education efforts, The Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Fund of The Plastic Surgery Foundation has been established. Proceeds will fund research focusing on breast reconstruction, and will also provide financial assistance to organizations supporting uninsured or under-insured women who choose to have their breast(s) reconstructed following a lumpectomy or mastectomy (as a result of a breast cancer diagnosis).
We are currently accepting applications for the following programs:
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery Charitable Care Grants
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery Public Awareness Grants
While breast reconstruction has long been a public awareness initiative of ASPS and The PSF, the effort solidified into an ongoing campaign in 2012 when Grammy nominated singer and songwriter Jewel joined as its spokesperson. Jewel helped propel the issue into the limelight and penned the song "Flower" for women making the journey through breast cancer. Proceeds from the sale of Flower are contributed to The BRA Fund of the Plastic Surgery Foundation. To date, more than $8,000 has been contributed to the fund.
Jewel is also featured in several television public service announcements, the first of which, "Whole Again", combined with overall news media coverage efforts, has reached more than ½ billion households in the United States alone. The entire media effort has reached countries around the world, through traditional and social media channels. "Whole Again" has been viewed more than 175,000 times on YouTube.
The ASPS will be reaching out to more than 100 affiliate organizations that helped celebrate the first BRA Day USA to help them prepare for a series of events throughout the country on October 16, 2013.
Join the BRA campaign today! All contributions support The BRA Fund to help fund research efforts and charity care, as well as underwrite the costs of the campaign, including national and local media and advertising efforts, and provide public and media relations assistance to affiliate organizations establishing grass roots events throughout the country.
Corporate, institutional and private practices: Sponsors will receive recognition on the BRA Day, ASPS and The PSF websites and through press outreach and social media channels. All levels of support are welcome, including commercial support sponsorships; grants and in kind contributions that will help support the charity care of women seeking breast reconstruction.
Please contact Joel Marie Payne for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 228-3325.
Individual contributions: The BRA Fund is grateful for the support of individual donors. There are a variety of ways you can contribute:
- Contribute online at BRADayUSA.org or via PayPal
- Text BRA to 41444
- By Check:
The Plastic Surgery Foundation BRA Fund
444 East Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
- By Wire Transfer: Please call The PSF Development Office at (847) 228-9900.
Support The PSF through your own estate planning and ensure that this is an issue to which the remains dedicated (insert link).
Groups and Organizations: Get involved! Organizations joining the BRA Day effort will receive a public relations tool kit. If funds are raised, we encourage organizations to contribute 80% of the funds to a local organization dedicated to the mission of the BRA campaign, and the remaining 20% are contributed to The PSF's BRA fund.