The Plastic Surgery Foundation
Log In Donate Now

Breast Reconstruction Awareness Campaign

Behind the public education efforts of the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Campaign, the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund of The Plastic Surgery Foundation has been established.

Proceeds will fund research focusing on breast reconstruction, and will also provide financial assistance to organizations supporting uninsured or underinsured women who choose to have their breast(s) reconstructed following a lumpectomy or mastectomy (as a result of a breast cancer diagnosis).

Grant Opportunities

The 2020 Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund grant cycle is NOW CLOSED.

For questions regarding our grant opportunities, please contact Mary Ruth Arway at (847) 228-3317 or email

A Public Awareness Grant of $9,000 was presented to The Live Today Foundation on May 8 during a Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fundraising Dinner in Chicago hosted by The Plastic Surgery Foundation. This grant was awarded to help bridge the public health needs of women suffering from lymphedema. The Live Today Foundation is a Chicago organization that provides fashionable compression garments that optimize lymphedema management in women with limited economic resources. Founder of Live Today, Sheri Prentiss, MD, MPH, CPS/A, CPE, FACPE, accepted the grant. Five months later, a play was produced and featured on the local ABC News affiliate.

About the Campaign

The Breast Reconstruction Awareness campaign is sponsored by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and The Plastic Surgery (The PSF), and financially supported through corporations, institutions, private practices and individuals.

Its intent is simple: Educate, engage and empower women to make the decision that is best for them following a diagnosis with breast cancer. That involves informing women, family members, caregivers and the media that the breast cancer loop remains open until a woman is informed of breast reconstruction options.

The campaign is multi-faceted and includes broad-reaching communication efforts to inform the public. Through national and local events, programming and a mix of traditional and new media efforts, millions of people unaware of breast reconstruction options following mastectomy have been informed.

While breast reconstruction has long been a public awareness initiative of ASPS and The PSF, in 2012, the effort solidified in an ongoing campaign. For eight great years, we have celebrated BRA Day with the support of great sponsors and the partnership of plastic surgery offices who created amazing educational and empowering events on the third Wednesday in October. Last year, more than 150 affiliates around the United States, including Hawaii, participated in raising awareness.

Contribute & Support

Join the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Campaign today! All contributions support The Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund to help fund research efforts and charity care, as well as underwrite the costs of the campaign, including national and local media and advertising efforts, and provide public and media relations assistance to affiliate organizations establishing grassroots events throughout the country.

Donate Online

Corporate, institutional and private practices: Sponsors will receive recognition on the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day, ASPS and The PSF websites, and through press outreach and social media channels. All levels of support are welcome, including commercial support sponsorships; grants and in kind contributions that will help support the charity care of women seeking breast reconstruction.

Please contact Rochelle Jerry for more information at (847) 228-7597 or

Individual contributions: The Breast Reconstruction Awareness Fund is grateful for the support of individual donors. There are a variety of ways you can contribute:

  • Contribute Online
  • By Check:
    The Plastic Surgery Foundation BRA Fund
    444 East Algonquin Road
    Arlington Heights, IL 60005
  • By Wire Transfer: Please call The PSF Development Office at (847) 228-9900.

Support The PSF through your own estate planning and ensure that this is an issue to which the remains dedicated.

Groups and Organizations: Get involved! Organizations joining the Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day effort will receive a public relations tool kit. If funds are raised, we encourage organizations to contribute 80% of the funds to a local organization dedicated to the mission of the campaign, and the remaining 20% is contributed to The PSF's Breast Reconstruction Awareness fund.